Friday, August 27, 2010

One of my favorite quotes concerning higher education comes from Cai Yuanpei, former Chancellor of Beijing University, who said, "A university is purely an institution of knowledge, not a place to develop one's qualifications or to put one's knowledge up for sale. A scholar should be interested in study and, what's more, cultivate moral qualities as a person of learning." There is an interesting op-ed piece on the opposite end of the civility in class argument. This one, by Billie Hara, is written from the student's perspective and focuses on the professional behavior of faculty. Another good read in preparation for the workshop on September 16 that will address this very topic. A few folks have asked about starting a blog and I tell them "if I can do it..." However, I wanted to mention another resource available for folks who are looking to build using an open source platform. Take a look at Omeka. I specifically encourage you to contribute to the Hurricane Memory Data Base which focuses on Katrina and Rita. If you have not added your memories to this project or accessed the material, I encourage you to do so very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment