Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Richard Sennett (1976) defined civility as "the activity which protects people from each other and yet allows them to enjoy each others company." He also noted that it may require a facade in order to maintain civility. Although that sounds like he is encouraging in-authenticity, I actually think he is saying that we need to be polite and respectful even in disagreement. As faculty, civility is part of our culture. We experience it in many ways throughout our academic careers. I found it very interesting the first time I attended a professional conference. It seemed at first blush that the "discussant" was being overly critical to the presenters. I soon realized it was part of the process when I saw the entire group at the head of the room gather together after the session. They were smiling and thanking each other for the feedback. It was definitely a lesson in civility. I am hoping to learn more from the Sandy Harris workshop on Thursday about this important topic. There was a nice article on the value of libraries that I wanted to share with you. I would also recommend an interesting article on the benefits of team-based learning and how it promotes student accountability that appeared in New Directions for Teaching and Learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment