Monday, November 22, 2010

Provost Steve Doblin led a very informative Lunch+Learn today on the topics of promotion and tenure. The faculty were very engaged and brought up a number of very important issues. If you are looking for advice on the entire process, feel free to contact us at the Center to set an appointment. As always, everything we do in the consulting arena is confidential. Do you keep a journal of your teaching experiences during the semester? I started that practice several years ago and it is always so interesting to look back at the end of the semester. I have actually started listing my preconceptions on the first day of class so that I can compare them to reality at the end. It has been so beneficial in helping me improve my teaching and has certainly made me much more student-centered. The national discussion about student cheating has exploded. After the revelation of the large-scale cheating incident at the University of Central Florida, the article by an individual who write papers for pay in the Chronicle added fuel to the fire. Research is slowly emerging in this area but there is a lot to do. If you are using unique techniques to impede cheating in your class that have proven effective, I encourage you to publish your results in one of the many journals focused on the scholarship of teaching and learning. I hope each of you has a very happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment